View Single Post
April 28th, 2011, 06:00 AM
A little background for my family: We lived in Missouri and my husband was unemployed for a while so we ended up on Medicaid for this pregnancy. (So I was seeing a regular doctor in a clinical setting.) He got a really good job that we moved to South Carolina for and we are now on insurance. At first it was great, but after getting here I found out that (understandably) midwives require payment up front and that the insurance we have claims to pay for a midwife assisted delivery, they actually eat up all the money you would get back by having extra fees and counting all midwives as out of network. I'm at 34 weeks now and running out of time. There's no way for us to come up with the $3000 to $5000 the midwives charge. I am looking into a birth center and our other option of just having an unassisted birth at home. I don't mind having a UC, it's just not fair that it has to be so darn difficult to have a baby around here. Sorry for the vent, I'm sure this is something everyone else goes through so thanks for listening.