View Single Post
May 16th, 2011, 11:42 AM
DOh!
This very reason was, and will likely remain for some time to come, a huge part of why we went with a free curriculum.

Now there are lots of ways to get your curriculum free. The net has so very many resources that you really wouldn't ever need to buy anything in most cases, other than some basic supplies. I know more people that opt for the cheapest route possible(ie buying very little, using free resources as much as possible) than I do people who buy their entire curriculum to be honest.

That's a huge part of why K12 works for us. I had already looked into their actual curriculum anyway. Had I been able to buy a boxed curriculum it was on the top of the list. The fact that it's free is a huge blessing. Because I *can adapt it so very easily to all of their learning styles. If I need help, it's easy to get a hold of someone. Everything is planned out pretty neatly for me(whether or not I stick by the plan is another story, but it's at least there).
I don't happen to agree with most of the pricing I see on curriculum, boxed or even piece parted together. I simply do not agree that it HAS to cost that much. Yes I know, they need to make their money too, understand that completely. I still happen to think they charge way too much and would make a heck of a lot more if they charged a bit less. But that's really neither here nor there. It's just a pet peeve of mine, lol.

If I hadn't gone with K12 I would be piece parting the entire thing together. It very well may have taken me much longer to get everything gathered that we'd need too. Mostly using free resources with very few purchases made. I just cannot afford to purchase books, workbooks, etc... Even at only $5 here $10 there(and then some in many cases) It's just not in the budget to get stuff for all three and it wouldn't matter which way I skimped or scraped, it would not magically just show up one day, lol. Being able to reuse curriculum for another child later down the road is awesome and eventually any investment made will pay off of course. But that doesn't help the current issue, if the money just isn't there. My resources are very limited right now(financial resources). They'll be that way for quite some time too. I do not have credit cards, never have and never will. So putting stuff like that on a card to slowly pay off is out of the question.

Aside from the homeschool aspect, I keep costs(as many as possible) to a bare minimum at all times. No going out to eat, no unnecessary purchases, no "trips" to places that will cost us money, no extra stuff just because, no extra activities that cost us. There aren't many here anyway for kids, but most of them are $30+ for each kid, on up to over $500 per kid. Sometimes it's per "season", sometimes per "session", it varies but it's extremely expensive. Even girl and cub scouts were horrendously expensive with absolutely no help from anyone else. Which is ridiculous since I know for a fact both have financial aid programs, apparently the leaders around here skipped that part of the manual though. Sorry, rant over, it chaps my hide. Grocery and basic needs costs always kept at a minimum as best I can. For the most part we do without quite a bit, but I don't think we're worse off for it, to be honest. In fact I think we're better off for it(this applies to *us* and only us, ftr, don't want anyone to get offended by the statement). We just don't have any need for most of the extras in life. Someday, finances will be different. For right now, they are not, and it will be a while before they are. So I budget, budget, budget that way when something unexpected *does come along-it won't be such a financial burden. (sometimes still is, but it could *always be worse).