View Single Post
May 16th, 2011, 06:40 PM
DOh!
On the health insurance, I would seriously look into, at least for the kids, getting state insurance. It may not always be the best but more often than not the income levels required for it are a lot higher than people think. Now the income level for full family coverage is usually on par with other benefits, but most states have insurance just for kids that a lot more people will qualify for.
Even when I was working two jobs, I wasn't able to get health insurance, and I made just barely over the limit for family coverage(this was well before they offered a "sliding scale fee" for family coverage, so it was all or nothing back then). I did however have insurance for both the girls. For the most part it covered pretty much all of the basics and then some non-basic things too. The things it didn't fully cover, it usually covered at least a portion.

The programs are there for folks who need them. I know sometimes we think "well, I don't really *need* the help"(I mean, really, who likes asking for help), but in the end we realize had we gotten help even when it seemed we didn't need to, we would've been better off. I've been in that position more times than I care to admit to.
I don't know what we'd do without it, honestly. There was a time when I didn't qualify, but the kids did, and it was such a lifesaver. Now both the kids and I qualify-and it's an even bigger lifesaver. There's no way I could afford any insurance otherwise.