View Single Post
May 18th, 2011, 05:42 PM
I am prego with my 4th and I came on here to read about the "castor oil" induction as I was considering this to help get my 4th out before my parents came to visit... I would be 39 weeks.... I have to admit - I'm extremely uncomfortable, I haven't slept in my bed in over a month - I have resorted to a recliner because of the amount of pain I am in at night. This IS pregnancy...some women glow, some do not... but it is what it is. I was going into this castor oil thing rather blindly, but I do not take lightly the "meconium" factor regardless of whether some women have issues with it or not. This has changed my mind and HERE IS WHY...
I have never used castor oil to induce any of my previous labors. My 1st was nearly 2 weeks overdue when my water finally broke and labor lasted another 20+ hours which resulted in a retained placenta. My 2nd labor was smooth sailing and was induced with pitocin on my due date. My DD had the cord wrapped around her neck twice which caused her to have a bowel movement... she came out pink, healthy and 10 out of 10 on her APGAR....several hours later after all the visitors had left and I had swaddled her for the night and was in the bathroom, the nurse came for her rounds. She knocked on the door and told me she was taking the baby to the nursery...ok... a few minutes later my pediatrician called me and told me that my baby was being admitted to the NICU. I was confused, shocked and in disbelief...there was nothing wrong with my daughter. Unfortunately - she developed an infection from the meconium she inhaled during the delivery. She went from perfect to near death in a matter of minutes. They would not let me see her while they hooked her up to tubes and oxygen and when I did finally get to see her she was blue/purple and struggling to breathe. I have never been so scared in my life. She turned into our $million baby as she spent several weeks in the NICU which was unexpected for a healthy full term baby. The verdict may still be out as to whether castor oil increases the risk of meconium...but if there is an increased risk at all, I think I'm going to pass on this...I don't wish this on anyone and feel I am one of the lucky ones to have my beautiful daughter barely gasping for air, now 6 and bossing me around. I'm not trying to scare anyone, if I hadn't had this experience, I would probably be drinking the shake tonight...but this experience has definitely made me think twice as I never thought that what the castor oil is doing to my body, may be doing to the baby's as well. food for thought