View Single Post
June 8th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We started homeschooling when my oldest daughter was 5. She was in Pre-K at the time and was reading chapter books and had the vocabulary of a 5th grader so I was worried about the transition to K, and if she would be challenged at school. We started in January of this year to make sure we could make it work (DH and I work opposite shifts and split schooling duties). I guess my biggest reason for homeschooling was that at the younger elementary levels our local PS doesn't have programs for kids who are well above grade level in some areas. I didn't want her to skip K and go into 1st because her writing is still at a K level and I think that would have been frustrating for her.

I'm not sure how long we'll continue. DH and I both agree that it will probably be until middle school and after that we may look at a university model school so they have some class time and some home instruction. I love that right now she can progress at her own level and she is never bored because we do a concept until she masters it and then move on. I am sure it will become more complicated as our other children get older and we are teaching many kids on many different levels but I look forward to the challenge!