Topic: burnt. out.
View Single Post
June 12th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I haven't posted here in a while, but I plan to hang out here regularly (even if I don't post) and hopefully some of this new-school-year enthusiasm I've been sensing here will rub off on me.

We haven't officially finished our school year, but I'm planning to put the kids through some summer school. DH just started a new job (after six months unemployed, yay!) and he will be working nights. I guess I kinda got used to him being able to help keep everybody busy... I've gotta get used to this new routine before trying to bring out the books again. From the beginning we have mostly unschooled, but my kids just aren't turning out like John Holt said they would. I'm finding they probably would have done a lot better with more structure from the beginning. It's really tedious for me because I really wish they were all creative, self-led, disciplined little geniuses, learning math and science and writing skills because they suddenly got interested in building something we just happen to have materials for. The fact is, though... It's not like that! Another fact of life- when you are outnumbered by your children seven to one, you just can't let them go all different directions according to their own whims. Or, at least I can't. Maybe somebody here has some advice on that.

Anyway, quick intro for those I haven't met... we've been homeschooling since fall of 2000; I've got seven kids ranging in age from almost 1 to almost 16. We live in the country and raise a couple of dairy goats, some chickens, and we talk about how we really should do a big garden someday. I work four days a week at the local grocery store and play organ/sing for our parish. I'm also a newbie runner and would like to someday study to be a certified personal trainer.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!