View Single Post
June 13th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You should look into the Ferber method. I did a lot of reading online about it before I started, and so far, so good. Charlie puts himself to sleep some of the time, other times it's less than 10 minutes of crying. Basically you put them in their crib when you know they're good and tired, then leave. Go in and briefly check on them (without picking them up or shushing) and let them know you're nearby, then leave. You do this after say 5 minutes, then 10, then 15. You start out small and let them cry longer and longer each time. I found that if I check on him too often, it gets him all worked up again. Normally he can get to sleep within 10-15 minutes. I had to put a bumper on the crib to keep him from getting stuck, every time I'd go check on him, he'd have his legs stuck out the side. I put up DD's old pink fluffy bumper, but I'm getting a breathable bumper ASAP. I do check as soon as he stops crying to make sure he's not up in a corner.
The Ferber method mostly just teaches them to get themselves to sleep without depending on you to rock them, be in the room, or pat their back. So far it's working very well. You just can't cave in! I didn't do my reading when I tried this with DD and it didn't work very well. I always caved in. We also started around 9ish months. Charlie is only 4.5.
I think I should also mention, Charlie nurses, so he gets pretty sleepy, sometimes passes out completely. But a lot of times he still cries some after a put him down, so usually he's not totally out.

Thank you, AlexAiden Mommy for my awesome siggy!