View Single Post
June 18th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiefer87 View Post
Hi I'm new here and your question about children born with SOD promted me to write. My daughter was born with septo optic dysplasia. She is now 5 years old and getting ready for knidergarten. Alexis has optic nerve hypoplasia in both eyes, but does have some functional vision. She sees shapes, colors. large objects, but does need a cane to navigate new surroundings. She is also growth hormone deficient, cortisol deficient, and thyroid deficient. She has the absent septum pellicidum also characteristic of septo optic dysplasia. She does have some severe developmental delays and does not function an a developmentally normal 5 year old level. She is delayed in all areas, cognitive, gross motor, fine motor, speech, and needs an orientation and mobility instructor to learn how to safely navigate areas. If you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Hi~ I know this post is old, and I am hoping you will still see this. My husband and I adopted a 15 month old sweet heart of a boy from Ethiopia 3 months ago. We just found out that he has been diagnosed with SOD and that he is missing his septum pellucidum. The doctor told us "it's not a big deal. You don't need to do anything, and do not worry about it." Of course I have been googling, and we are very frustrated and not sure what to do. It seems as if Jamesy (our son) needs some immediate medical attention. What is your take?? He also has nystagmus but seems to be able to see really well.
Thanks!
~Tiffany
www[dot]amomentcherished[dot]com