View Single Post
July 6th, 2011, 05:48 AM
Heather the Mama Duk
Honestly, just ignore her for now. She is probably feeling a bit threatened that you are doing something with your kids that is completely different from what she did, plus homeschooling is completely foreign to her as a former public school teacher. My MIL used to make comments like that. She was 100% UNsupportive of homeschooling. Well, a lot of years have gone by now. We've just finished our 7th year officially homeschooling. And she's 98% supportive now! She's seen our kids over the years and has realized that what we're doing may be different form what she was used to, but it's definitely not bad and is turning out some well educated kids. When Cameron was diagnosed with dyslexia and dysgraphia, one of the first things she said was that it was a good thing I was homeschooling him so he doesn't fall through the cracks. She never would have said such a thing even 5 years ago. Sometimes we just have to give people time to see how it goes before we can expect them to support us completely. If her comments become too often, however, I would respectfully ask her to cut them out and remind her gently that these are your kids and you get to make the decisions for them. If the comments are few and far between like they were with my MIL, just ignore them and watch them change.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside