View Single Post
July 16th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Regular
Name: Tabitha

Grade and/or age of your children: Richie, age 5

What do you hope to get out of this board? Looking to get more ideas/information about HS, as I've decided to do so with my children due to the terrible state of the public school systems where I live.

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? I can't say that I have, as of yet. I might be doing something sort of in a Montissori/unschooling style, because outside of phonics (which DS isn't too good at) I generally do teaching led by him. Basically I've done a lot of research, but I'm looking to do more so that I can find what will work the best for myself and my son.

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? Here in FL, homeschooling is very regulated. My understanding is that detailed records have to be kept, and children must submit to standardized testing. I don't agree with that sort of testing (as I had a lot of trouble with standardized testing when I was in school due to dyslexia and some other factors), so we may move to a more lenient state where it regards schooling sometime in the future.

Anything else? I think that's basically it, really. As I said, just looking for a LOT of information. A lot of people I know say "You don't know what you're getting into", but since I already deal with an ADHD/special needs child every waking moment of the day and I know him best, I really feel that it's in his best interest that he learns from me instead of being completely lost in the public school system, thrown into the "bad kids" classes, and/or special education.

[/CENTER]