View Single Post
August 4th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to kellybee
Quote:
Has anyone here gone through a step-parent adoption? My husband is adopting Matthew. We have the paperwork drawn up and I'm just wondering if anyone has done this and how difficult it was? We will be filing in the next few weeks (after my ex signs the papers giving up his rights). I'm assuming this is a fairly common type of adoption and the court process is fairly simple - but I could be wrong.[/b]
It probably depends a lot on where you live. Here in PA, our law office has handled tons of step-parent adoptions. However, there is a 40-day waiting period between the time that the biological parent signs off and the time you can file the petition for adoption. You also have to file a petition to confirm the consent at the same time. The good thing is that usually both hearings are held at the same time. The 40 days is to give any biological parent an opportunity to withdraw their consent prior to the adoption. If they don't then it's confirmed and the adoption is granted after a 5 to 10 minute hearing in Judge's Chambers. After that, the biological parent then has 30 days to appeal to the Superior Court. It stinks, but we've never had anyone revoke a consent prior to an adoption or appeal afterward.

Good luck to you and your family!

Kelly