View Single Post
August 8th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi there! I haven't had a home birth... YET. But I've been researching it like mad for whenever we get pregnant again. I spoke with a midwife in TN (I live in AL where it's illegal for a midwife to attend an out of hospital birth) and she said it was important to find out what your insurance policy states about home birth. She said there are 3 scenarios.
1. Home birth is covered. In that case I would get an "in for out" exemption because there are no providers in my area to provide this service.
2. Home birth is NOT covered. This means your policy has wording that specifically states that home birth is not covered. She said that this would mean that they would only cover prenatal and postnatal costs and that a lot of time with out of network copays and deductibles it's just best to pay her out of pocket...
3. There is no specific wording about home birth. If you call and they say home birth is not covered, you need to ask for written documentation stating such in your. Policy. She said a lot of times they will put you on hold and get a supervisor... But that if there is no wording against home birth that they have to cover it (she said something about TN state law mandates this, so I don't know if that would be everywhere) but it would be covered as out of network. And you have to find out what exactly your oon deductible and copays are.

Whew... Hope that helped!

and introducing Julia Pearl