View Single Post
August 16th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaby&Emmy'sMama View Post
I like the idea of using Johnna and giving her the n/n Johnnie.. .but then if you'd call her Johnnie all the time... what IS the harm in giving her Johnnie as a first name? end of the day it's your baby, and your FIL that you're honouring.... if you like it, then... do it
Not to debate, but I disagree with this. At the end of the day, it is YOUR baby, but YOUR baby is a PERSON, and there's a certain responsibility to that person, as an individual, that goes beyond "this is what I want so there."

The point of giving a child a professional name even though you won't ever use it, is to give the child options, and also because it just looks better on applications. What we name our children SHOULD BE a reflection on our own style and intelligence, but it becomes a reflection on the child instead. Johnnie will most likely be less respected in the professional world than Johnna or Joanna or Johannah, even though she didn't choose to get stuck with a boy's name.
Breast feeding, formula feeding, baby wearing, stroller pushing, VBAC successful, video game playing, extended rear facing, extended harnessing, mac and cheese feeding, vaccine free, happily married, LDS mother to 3 beautiful children. And now you know everything about me.

My Blog - Thoughts from Momland, where the mountain dew is cold, the kids are loud, and the laughs are endless.[/CENTER]