View Single Post
August 31st, 2011, 10:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
The Catholic church's view on this (and many other things) is a sore spot for me. I'm so sorry you have to deal with it. I was baptized and raised Catholic. My mom was married at 19 and divorced by 20 so the church has given her a hard time with lots of things. They've told her more times than I care to count, since the 80's, they'll annul her marriage for x amount of dollars even though there are no real grounds for annulment. They are just interested in the money. I don't think they gave her any problems getting us baptized though. I know the priest at the church I belong to gave me trouble baptizing DS. I've kind of pulled away from the Catholic church because of the whole sex abuse scandal. I find their handling of it reprehensible, and am thinking about switching religions. It's hard though, because I worry about what my grandmother (who's been dead sine 1993) would think. Anyway, when DS was baptized the priest said, "Oh you don't attend very often. I really shouldn't do this. But as long as you're not Jehovah's Witness I will." Ummm really?!? I hope you're able to find someone that will baptize her. It shouldn't matter that you're divorced (at least in my mind). Baptism isn't about the parents, it's about the babies.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!