View Single Post
September 18th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Veteran
Welcome to Birthmoms

I originally wanted closed, I thought it would be easier on both me and the father. But the more we worked with our agency and the more we went through the process, we decided on open 100%. Our agency was wonderful and gentle about the entire process, we were able to choose if we wanted the adoptive parents at the birth and if we wanted baby to stay in our room, etc. We were also able to write up a contract of what both parties wanted, AND got to choose the name.

It's going to be a hard process, but you're doing a wonderful thing by giving a gift to a family in need. I tell myself that every single day and it helps me through the process. Even after almost two years after placing my son, I don't regret my decision because I did what was best for him. To answer your question, I'm extremely happy with choosing an open adoption, I get to see how he's doing, I receive pictures and updates, texts, and opportunities to visit. It's hard but when I see that big smile on his face it makes it all worth it. The birth father doesn't have to be on the same page about what kind of adoption you choose.

This decision isn't easy but open adoption worked for me. A lot of couples are being seriously educated in the benefits of open adoptions (they weren't very popular back in the day) which made the process easier for us. We got to choose the couple we wanted and they've gone so far as to tell us they'd like to have Liam know our future children. If you have ANY questions, please PM me! It was an extremely difficult road for me so if you need to vent I'm always here to lend an ear.

HUGE thanks to Typical Vampire for my amazing siggie! ♥