View Single Post
September 22nd, 2011, 05:36 PM
Super Mommy
Hey ladies! I'm Jessica and I just had my twin girls yesterday (sept 21) at 34 weeks gestation! They are in the nicu now but so far they are doing really well. Baby A (Keely) weighed 3lbs 6oz and 16.5in. Baby B (Kenley) weighed 3lbs 2oz and 16in. They weren't growing inside too well (obviously, for 34 weeks they were NOT where they should be for weight) and I was spilling tons of protein so we decided it was best to get them out. we also have been told that baby B had some brain issues. we've had 2 fetal MRI's done but no answers. The girls are identical so we don't know why her brain looked abnormal but her sister's didnt. Then a few weeks ago the MFM doc said he saw that A's was starting to look abnormal so we thought something was attacking them or it was going to end up being genetic or chromosomal.. we don't know anything about their brains yet because we are focusing on their normal preemie stuff but we are supposed to follow up with an MRI when they get to about 4 months old.. and the nicu is supposed to do a head u/s on B at some point in the next week..
anyway, as far as their nicu stay is going.. it's going WAY better than we every expected so far..

Keely hasn't needed any breathing help at all! She is in an incubator but maintaining her temp so far and we got to hold her today! She started feedings by mouth today too and is tolerating 5cc's! she's doing awesome and they said they may try to wean her out of her incubator in the next few days.. she just needs to gain some weight :-)

Kenley needed a little help with breathing but she's on a low flow room air! she was having some apnea issues but they mentioned they are going to try to wean her off in the next few days and see how she does. They had a harder time getting her IV in her hand so she has a line in her umbilical cord for now. She is also maintaining her temp so we got to hold her today too. She is only tolerating about 1cc of her mouth feeds because she hasn't gotten the hang of the sucking and swallowing yet but that's understandable. I think she will do just fine with practice.

we get to start Kangaroo care in the morning which i'm so excited about.. I am just so in love with these tiny girls and hope they stay on this path and come home sooner rather than later!

so that's the basis of our story and I can't wait to get to know you all in here! I know the nicu can be a scary rollercoaster ride so i'm excited to have some other support from people who have actually been there..