View Single Post
October 1st, 2011, 05:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
You know, I never did a thread with his whole story...but let me see if I can find the thread I did when was born with his birth story. The short version is, I was having a perfectly uneventful pregnancy when suddenly my water broke at 26 weeks 6 days. I was in the hospital on bed rest for 3 days and then out he came, at 2 lbs. 14 oz. He spent 9 weeks in the NICU learning to breathe and eat, and then he came home and has been pretty much a normal kid ever since. Oh, except for the other special thing about him, which is that his organs are backwards. It's called situs inversus, and with him it's just his abdominal organs that are a mirror image of where they are for most people. Because of his situs inversus, he also has no spleen, he just never grew one. The asplenia minimally affects his life in that it compromises his immune system with respect to certain bacterial infections, but otherwise it's just more interesting cocktail party conversation for him. . For his dad and me, it was a tough road getting past the trauma of his birth and the NICU to be able to face having another child, but here we are now!