View Single Post
October 7th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindsayGriff View Post
Being a resident myself, I have been through medical school and know the intensity of it. We had a good bunch of people that had babies in the 1st two yrs of medical school but most of them were males and the few women that had kids in medical school had good spousal support. I had mine during 4th yr and after having him, I learned the struggles it was just to try to study what little I actually had to do during 4th yr and it was no where near the amount you have to do in the 1st 2 yrs when you have so much classroom work and tests. I can honestly say it will be extremely difficult. I think you need to tell your father and this guy. For one, the guy needs to know especially if you are keeping the child. Your father should know because honestly, you are gonig to need support and help because you will need times just to yourself to study or you will never make it through. To be brutally honest like you asked, you were old enough to make the decision to have sex and knowing that you made it into medical school shows that you were smart enough to know the consequences that come with having sex, if only you would have know that it takes 3 months for the pill to reach full effectiveness, now you need to step up and tell all involved the truth.
Thank you for being honest with me. I appreciate it because it is important for me to face my responsibilities. I just stopped crying because I feel very stupid and very out of tune with my body. I just thought that the maybe the reason I missed my period was because I was working out a lot more, I found myself forgetting to have a meal and then settling on something as random as a bowl of pasta with pesto, reviewing more, shadowing more frequently, working extra hours in the ER, and attending teaching conferences at another hospital. There are a few things happening in my life but I am used to pushing myself like this but never missing a period.

I am so afraid of telling anyone what is happening with me. Except this forum because I do not believe that anyone I know will look here. I just do not want my family to be disappointed with me and I just feel like the baby's father will probably ignore me. I also have a feeling my father knows what is happening because his younger sister hid her pregnancy from the family and died after giving birth. Superstitious beliefs and suspicion run high in my family. Above all, I know that I am supposed to be smarter than this but I have never felt more idiotic and afraid.

I am considering deferring admissions until next year but I am too excited about medical school to wait any longer and I am afraid that if I put it off I will be making another mistake. That's what makes me feel very selfish and confused. Anyway, I hope your residency is going well! I clicked on your profile and I saw that you have been through a lot but you have incredibly strength and great support from your family. You are very inspirational, I wish you and your family only the best in life.