Topic: Qotw
View Single Post
October 11th, 2011, 08:13 PM
pronounced (day-lynn)
Wow Celry (do I know your name yet? LOL), you did fantastically!

Jessica - no problem! Ask away. I love it when the threads branch into discussions - that's kinda the point ya know!

Yep, it could be because she's used to the bottle and it comes out easier from there. But also, your babies are small and it just takes a while for them to learn it! Lynndi was small too and she had a hard time. Try doing some breast compression with her latched and see if that helps. It did with Lynndi after a few tries! It also helped if I would latch Caleb (my stronger sucker, he got it right away) first and then her. He'd stimulate let-down and then she got the "good stuff" sooner and was happier at the breast.

I never had to do the pumping instead of nursing thing, but I know that a lot of times a woman may not produce as well when she's not being able to put baby to breast. Try pumping MORE often (yes, I really do *know* that sounds horrible). Realize that if you were nursing twins at this age, you'd be nursing for about 20 minutes EACH, and each baby would do that every 3-4 hours. So, an hour of pumping and two hours of rest, then back to the pump. That sounds horrible, but that's really what it was like nursing for the first couple of months with twins. It was all I could do - and I ate and peed in-between. LOL Did the hospital supply you with one of those fantastic double electric pumps? If not, ask for one!! And then still do it every 3-4 hours for at least a half hour if you can.

There are things you can do to increase supply, but know this - if you can keep producing anything at all, when the babies can latch and learn to nurse properly you WILL build it back up. Your body may think that you lost the babies, since they were so early and you aren't being able to put them on - so keep trying to convince your body it's wrong and those babies are doing just great!

Do what you can, mama, and don't stress over what you can't!!

And I'd also like to say that I'm SURE there are more multiples mommas out there who only or mostly formula fed/feed. Please don't be shy - speak up! I'm sure we have some pregnant mommas expecting to formula feed who need to know they are not in the minority.

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!