Topic: New to FF...
View Single Post
October 14th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I are hoping to foster-adopt and prefer infants. While I breast fed my daughter, I did formula feed/bottle feed as a daycare teacher. Obviously, I can't breastfeed a foster or adopted baby....so what do I need to know? What should I stock up? Obviously, I don't want to buy one specific brand or anything...but what is a good variety to have in a 24-48 hour kit for a baby?

I'm familiar with brands of bottles, but I have never really had to do the washing and sanitizing what do I need? At daycare, we used a crock pot to warm bottles - but how do you warm at home? Do you need the nursery water? Or can I use filtered fridge water? What are the advantages and disadvantages to the different types and brands (powder, concentrate, ready feed, etc) of formula. Are any places better to buy formula at or offer a better discount for bulk purchases? How much on average does formula cost per week/month? How many bottles/day? How many oz per bottle? How many bottles should I purchase as a bare minimum (we do dishes nightly)?

When I did the math based on expected number of oz per day, it looked like we would go through a can in 1.5-2 days. At $20 a can, it would be about $300 a month to formula feed. Of course any tummy issues can mean the cost of formula increases. Does that sound right?