View Single Post
October 19th, 2011, 12:41 AM
It's a girl!!!
On Tuesday Oct 11 I went to the hospital to have a version done - the dr flipped the baby from breech to head down. Immediately after I felt crampy and had mild contractions. The dr gave me Tylenol before I left and DH and I headed to Olive Garden for lunch. We were talking about how nice it was to spend time together during the week.

On Wednesday Oct 12 I woke up at 1am having pretty bad contractions. I waited until 3am to wake up DH and we began timing them. They were anywhere from 2 min to 5 min apart. At 5am I decided that if we were going to go to the hospital we should go now because if we get sent home Dh would still be able to make it to work on time. So I called the dr's office 24 hr line and told them we were heading to the hospital.

We got into triage and surprisingly our nurse was the same nurse who taught our childbirth prep class! She hooked me up and I was contracting about every 4 minutes or so. The resident dr came and checked me, I was 3cm and 20%. They called me dr at home and she said to either send me home or let me walk an hour and check for progress. I bounced on the exercise ball, layed in the "texas roll" position, swayed my hips, and walked for 50 minutes. The resident came to check me 50 min later and I was 4cm and 50% effaced! When she told me I was being admitted I started crying because I was scared and happy! We were going t have a baby!!

I was brought to my l&d room about 5 minutes later. I was hooked up to the monitor for 5 minutes so the nurse could get a strip and she started an IV (well, the hep lock or whatever it's called in case I needed meds later through an IV). We called our families to let them know what was going on - it was so cute. DH insisted on calling everyone, he said it was his job. He was so excited. I ordered some yogurt, milk and a muffin for breakfast - my nurse said I could eat but just to keep it light. Then DH and I began to walk the halls. Every hour my nurse asked to check my baby - she just held the doppler thing on my belly.

My family got there around 9am and I think it slowed my contractions because I didnt want to be in pain in front of them. But it was nice to have all the support. My dr came in at noon and checked me. I was 5cm so she broke my water! It felt so weird but I was happy because I knew I'd be having my baby soon. Around 2 my contractions became very painful so I asked for the epidural. The anethesiologist was really nice and my epi worked really well. I didnt like the feeling of my legs being so heavy but it was nice to not be in pain. Also, I didnt have to have a permanent catheter left in. Every 3 hours my nurse inserted a cath to empty my bladder and took it right back out.

At 5 my dr came back to check me. I was now 7 cm but the baby was really high up still, which concerned her she said. She began talking c-section. She said she'd come back at 9 and if the baby was still that high she'd section me. I was really scared and so sure I'd end up sectioned. At that time they began pitocen at a rate of 2. They also wanted to monitor how strong my contractions were so they inserted an internal monitor. I then had to be hooked up permanently to the monitor since I was on pitocen. I got to 8 of pitocen when I finally began contracting strong enough and close enough together. My nurse cathed me at 8:30 and she said wow you have a lot of bloody show, I'm going to see how far you are. Surprisingly, I was complete and ready to go - 10 cm, 100% and the baby was down low in the right position!!! She called the dr and told me we were going to practice push until the dr got there. As a FTM she said I could push for a couple hours before delivering.

I began pushing and was so focused on the clock that was straight in front of me. After 10 min of pushing the nurse told me to stop pushing, her head was right there!! She paged the dr and asked where she was. My dr was in her car on her way so the nurse told her to hurry bc the baby was right there. My family was in the waiting room and they said our dr came running by! lol. The dr got there, gowned up and about 10 minutes later my beautiful daughter, Paige Evelyn, was born at 9:16pm! She was immediately placed on my chest. DH and I both cried and were in such awe.

Our families came in about an hour later and we were so proud to introduce them to our baby! Everyone was asking how much she weighed but she'd been on my chest since birth and the nurse said there was no rush in weighing her but I was curious. The warmer was in the same room so I asked the nurse to weigh her - 7 lbs 0.7 oz (so we rounded up to 1 oz!). DH got to put on her first diaper - it was cute, he asked the nurse to 'coach him through it'. lol. Our families stayed about 30 minutes before heading home. I was moved to my post partum room where we would spend the next 48 hours getting to know our baby. We got to come home on Friday around 9:30 pm (after the newborn screen).

The epidural took awhile to wear off, which scared me. My right leg felt normal and I was able to stand on it after about 3 hours. My left leg, however, was dead weight - completely numb - until 10am the next morning. I was afraid but the nurses kept assuring me it was normal. It FINALLY wore off!