View Single Post
October 20th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I don't know if you've heard of Day of the Dead but it's coming up on November 1/2 and is quite a sweet celebration though I could imagine some seeing it as macabre.

It's celebrated in Mexico and other Spanish speaking countries where it's known as Dia de los Muertos on November 2; November 1 is Dia de los Angelitos - especially for departed children. It's a day to honour the dear departed through feasting, celebration and lighting candles or decorating the house to signal to them to visit home...similar to putting candles out or setting a place for the lost loved one(s) at the table on Hallowe'en as many Pagan/spiritual people are wont to do.

Decorations include sugar skulls and skeletons, colourful banners and lights. This may sound a little distasteful, but the whole event is described as a celebration of life of those who have passed from this world.

Mexico Celebrates Life | Day of the Dead in Mexico

Interestingly, it's celebrated alongside the Christian All Saints' Day (November 1) and All Souls' Day (November 2) - so it seems like many religions have the same idea about when the so-called "veil" is thinnest and when is a potent time to honour the dead.

Would anybody here like to do something simple to mark Day of the Dead? I'm only thinking of maybe penning a prayer or poem together (multifaith or non-faith) to say and lighting a candle, unless anyone has any other ideas.

Even if not I thought it was something interesting some of you might like to know about. Everyone is different in how they deal with their grief and having a specific day to do something positive in remembrance of a lost loved one is something that may be helpful to some, though perhaps not others.