View Single Post
November 16th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmAnDaMo View Post
Elementary school was definitely the worst experience for me.
Ugh, me too. I was SO bored, I hated it! There are no gifted programs in our school system and my mom tried for years to have me skip a grade only to be told they don't do that. The only bright point I remember was my grade 4 teacher. She realized I needed to be challenged and would let me go to the library to research various topics and I would write research papers about them. For the first time I felt like I was actually learning something and working. But it only lasted that one year.

Our school system goes K-6 then 7-11 as high school. When I hit high school things were a bit better because there were enriched classes, but still there was always that feeling of getting something for nothing. It wasn't until I hit CEGEP (mandatory 2 years before college, like grade 12 or junior college I guess) that things got hard.

I was in science and I needed to actually study but I didn't know how! I vividly remember pitching a fit and throwing my calculus books around because I couldn't figure out how to actually study. My Mom ended up sitting me down and giving me a lesson in note-taking and studying. I was 18 I guess at the time.

The sad thing is that I see Mia going through the exact same thing yet I don't know how to change it. I try my best to 'after-school' her and to keep her challenged but I know she feels the way I did at school.