View Single Post
November 17th, 2011, 07:32 PM
AWESOME!!!
Howabout using distance? e.g. put him in his bassinet - if he wakes up, rub his belly slowly until he nods off again. If he works himself up into crying, pick him up and rock him/sing to him/whatever you normally do to calm him down, then try again. Once he's got that down, move to a nearby chair. Stay where he can see you. Hopefully he'll wake up, see you're there, and go back to sleep. A few nights to get used to that, then move the chair further away - to the door, or the opposite side of the room, where he can hear you breathing (knows you're there) but can't necessarily see you. If he wakes up and panics, pop over and do the belly rub to reassure him that you're nearby and will come to him if he needs you. When he's got that figured out, try leaving the room after he's asleep. With any luck, he'll remember that you're close by and won't be afraid to wake up without you. It's not a very fast process, but hopefully it'll get you some 'you' time eventually.
I did something like this with Caitie. She was weird about sleeping when she was little-little... I think I ended up trying every 'method' at least once. I finally gave up on trying to keep her asleep and worked instead on just making her comfortable with being in her bed by herself. I found that it helped if I DIDN'T sing or talk to her during the process. Just a slow, light belly rub and a smile seemed to work best. Every kid is different though! If he's happy when you sing, try humming a song while you're rubbing. If there's a nightlight in the room, try changing the brightness or color. Cait's still a big fan of pink light at night. (Tried to get her a purple nightlight not long ago and she had a total meltdown!)
In any case, don't give up! It's super frustrating sometimes, but everything will be okay.