View Single Post
December 15th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I haven't been the most active in here the last few months, but I'm hoping to stay more active, so I wanted to post a birth story. It's pretty long, so bear with me

We arrived at the hospital at 6 pm on November 7 to start our scheduled induction due to gestational hypertension. We were able to get settled into our room in Labor and Delivery pretty quickly, but didnít end up starting the cervical ripening process until after 9 pm. When they placed the first dose of misoprostol, I was still 1 cm, soft, and thick- there had been no progress between 35 weeks and 38 weeks. After a while, I noticed that my Braxton Hicks were pretty regular, at around 5 minutes apart. They were still completely painless, and that had happened a couple of other times after cervical checks, so I wasnít too hopeful. I tried to sleep until my next cervical check, but had no luck. My blood pressure was getting high, and I started getting frustrated at the thought that I would probably end up on magnesium sulfate, stuck in bed.

The doctor came in around 2 am to check my cervix. I was still 1 cm, but 50% effaced. It didnít seem like much progress, and I started wondering whether the induction would be successful. They placed the second dose of misoprostol, and said they would be back around 6 am to check me again. I waited around in bed until almost 3 am so I could get up and go to the bathroom. I was starting to feel a little crampy, and I hoped that meant something was going on. When I got back in bed, the nurse came in and said that the doctor wanted to try me on IV blood pressure meds and see if we could delay the magnesium at all. She had to push the meds slowly while I was on a heart monitor to make sure my vitals stayed stable, then stay in the room and check my blood pressure several times to make sure it was coming down. During the half hour or so that she was in the room, I felt a weird internal popping. I was afraid my water had broken and I would still only be 1 cm- the scenario my doctor said was most likely to lead to a C-section. When I rolled over, I felt a little leaking, but it wasnít enough for the nurse to really determine if my water had broken, and she said we would wait a while and see what happened. After that the cramping got much more uncomfortable, and was way down at the bottom of my uterus. If I put my hands on my stomach I could feel that I was still contracting, but I couldnít really tell that I was having contractions otherwise. It just seemed like cramps.

My blood pressure didnít really go down at all after the meds, so while the nurse left, I took the opportunity to go the bathroom a couple of times and sit on the birthing ball. While I was on the birthing ball, my water definitely broke. The doctor came in and checked my cervix after that at around 4:30 am. I was 3 cm and 90% effaced. Baby was still at -2 station. I got back on the birthing ball for a little while and had some more gushes of fluid. At this point, the cramps were very painful. I couldnít talk through them at all, and they were right on top of each other. They werenít showing up as strong contractions on the monitor, just weak, crampy contractions. I couldnít relax at all during the cramps because they were so painful. Once or twice, I had a minute between cramps, and I would just flop over, completely limp and so grateful for the chance to relax. Soon the nurse came in and said it was time to start the magnesium, and I would have to stay in bed for the rest of my labor. I had no idea how I would make it through the rest of the labor in bed- lying down made the pain so much worse. I sat up in bed while she started the magnesium and watched mine and the babyís vitals. I was in so much pain with the cramps/contractions that I couldnít even sit still at all.

At this point, what I was feeling wasnít correlating with what they were seeing on the monitors. I figured I was only 4 or 5 cm and I couldnít figure out how I would make it through the rest of labor. It was unbearable, but I didnít know how I could possibly sit still long enough to get an epidural.

After a while, the nurse said the babyís heart rate was having some decels, and she wanted me to lie on my side to see if it would stabilize. Lying on my side was absolutely horrible. The babyís heart rate was better while I was lying down, but it still wasnít consistent. Because of that and because my perception of the contractions didnít match what was showing up on the external monitors, they decided it would be better to do internal monitoring. While we were waiting for the doctor to come place the monitor, I was really having a hard time staying on my side and really wanted to get up to go to the bathroom. When the doctor did arrive around 6 am, she checked my cervix and I was 10 cm, 100% effaced, and the baby was at +2 station. They called my OB to come in, and called the resident OB in case baby arrived before my OB. They got me set up to push, and I did some practice pushes on a couple of contractions. Now that I knew I was ready to push, I felt so much more in control. I was able to gently push during contractions and was able to move the baby. My OB arrived around 6:40 am. I used the squatting bar and pushed hard through a couple contractions. When the baby was crowning, I sat back, pulled up my legs, and pushed a couple more times before baby was born.

They placed her on my stomach, and since she was pink and crying very well, the pediatricians decided not to examine her right away (even though I was on magnesium). We got to cuddle together for several hours. Eleanor Rose was born on November 8, 2011 at 6:53 am. She was 6 pounds 4 ounces and 19.5 inches long.

It was really a crazy intense laborÖ from first painful contraction at 1 cm dilated to delivery took less than 4 hours. And from 3 cm to ready to push only took 1.5 hours! I still canít believe it really happened like that!