View Single Post
December 21st, 2011, 08:52 AM
I have been reading posts on this board ever since I was diagnosed and finally decided to post myself, as you are all so supportive of one another.

I have been married for 2 years and my husband and I just recently started trying to conceive. I got off of birth control about a year ago to give my cycle time to regulate. I quickly noticed that I was having very irregular cycles and also starting to skip cycles. After waiting it out for several months, my doctor finally did an ultrasound and told me I probably have PCOS. I was immediately terrified and heartbroken, worrying we would not be able to get pregnant. My doctor told me she had many PCOS Moms running around and it would just take a little longer.

I have been on Metformin 500mg for 1 month. I thought as soon as I started I would have a period, but I haven't. I want to ask my doctor if I can go ahead and start on Clomid. I'm so afraid, I've heard these horror stories about miscarriages, ovarian drilling, IVF... I just never thought I would have a problem getting pregnant. No one in my family has had problems, my cousin is pregnant with her 7th for goodness sakes! Every one of my friends is getting pregnant with their 2nd or 3rd by now. I feel like something is wrong with me, like I've caused this.

My main question is how long does metformin take to work? I'm only taking 500mg, do I need a higher dose. I am afraid my doctor will want me to try lower doses and take my time, but I want to have a baby before I'm 30 and I just turned 28.

Thanks for any responses.