View Single Post
December 28th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm new to the neighborhood. DH and I have been TTC for a year. I had been off birth control (which I was on for only a bit over a year because it really disagreed with me) for 3 1/2 years by that point. I have regular periods and am generally healthy, but I am 35, which means the medical community has rung an infertility bulls-eye around my neck.

When went in for fertility analysis DH's SA came back great and my Clomid Challenge blood tests came back normal. And here we entered what seems like common territory with a few women on this board: the sucky RE.

Even after asking we received no more testing (not even a physical exam) and were shoved into the IUI 3-cycle loop to be followed by IVF. (Presented to us as if A) we don't need to think about this and B) of course everyone can afford to pay for all of this.) In the end it was my own fault; I didn't listen to my gut. I wanted to believe so badly that IUI was the magic bean for us. We did only one. The experience -- from mannerisms to the physical treatment of my body to a total lack of concerns about my overall health at the time and thus readiness -- was terrible. And it failed.

The RE retires on Saturday. But we had already decided to not move forward with the next IUI, unconvinced that it really addresses what might be our problem. We have an appointment for a new RE in January but because there is only one place to go around here, it's just a new guy in the same place with, I fear, the same attitudes, a conception assembly line, so to speak. As we get closer to the appointment, we will reconsider whether to wait out MA until we move elsewhere.

So, for at least a few months, I am shifting to acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine. I am also taking a few nutritional supplements, eating better and getting regular exercise. And I'm trying hard to relax about it all. A little ironic, that sentence, isn't it?

My heart goes out to each and every one of the ladies so strongly fighting for their dream of a family.