View Single Post
January 6th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Since hotpinktulips had questions about her birth plan I thought I would share mine with everyone. It is important to have it no longer than a page. All of my headers are colored and bolded to make it easier to read as well. Nurses/OBs don't have time to read through pages and pages so short and to the point is best. Always remember to thank them as well. I have candy taped to each of mine to sweeten it up a bit as well but of course that's not necessary Hope this helps ladies!

Casey and Jeff’s Birth Plan

This is how we would like our labor/delivery to go under ideal circumstances. We realize things arise and this plan may not be followed exactly. Thank you for honoring our wishes.

Labor
· I wish to be able to move around and change position at will throughout labor.
· I would prefer to keep the number of vaginal exams to a minimum.
· My husband is to be present at all times.
· Plenty of time to labor as long as progress is being made.
Monitoring
· FHR monitored by intermittent monitoring (or telemetry if possible); no internal monitors please.
Labor Augmentation/Induction
· No augmentation of labor, such as pitocin or amniotomy, unless non-medical techniques are ineffective and approved by me or my husband.
Anesthesia
· I do not want anesthesia offered during labor, though I would like it available if I specifically request it.
· Please avoid use of urinary catheter unless anesthesia is used and my consent is given.
Cesarean
· If cesarean becomes necessary I would like to be conscious, my husband would like to be present at all times and we would like for our baby to be nursed immediately.
Episiotomy
· I would prefer to tear naturally rather than have an episiotomy. I would prefer the use of compresses, massage, coaching for slow birth of my baby’s head, and positioning stirrups to avoid the need for episiotomy unless absolutely required for our baby’s safety.
Delivery
· We would like to avoid the use of forceps/vacuum extraction unless absolutely necessary.
· I would like a mirror available so I can see my baby’s head when it crowns.
· Even if I am fully dilated, and assuming my baby is not in distress, I would like to try to wait until I feel the urge to push before beginning the pushing phase.
· I would like the cord to pulsate for at least 90 seconds before being cut.
· I would like the opportunity to deliver the placenta naturally.
· I would like to have my baby placed on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery. We ask that any evaluations be done while I am holding him.
After Delivery
· After the birth, I wish to nurse my baby immediately.
· If our baby must be taken from me to receive medical treatment, my husband or some other person I designate will accompany baby at all times.
· We would like to delay eye ointment until I have finished nursing our baby.
Breastfeeding
· Unless medically necessary, I wish to have no bottles given to my baby (including glucose water or plain water).
· I do not want my baby to be given a pacifier.

Above all, we ask for time; time to labor naturally, time to discuss and make important decisions, time to have an enjoyable and memorable birth. Thank you!