View Single Post
January 28th, 2012, 12:41 AM
Super Mommy
I've been debating responding to this. I don't really know your story, but I used to be a regular here under a different name since 2005. That said, your doc is making alarm bells ring inside my head. "Small hips" is generally a fallacy in child-bearing women, and I'm utterly amazed that doctors still actually say such utter bullcrap to expectant mothers. It's a truly RARE (and yes, I do mean EXTREMELY RARE) case that a pregnant woman can't give birth to a child because of small hips in the Western countries. To add to the girls who already posted, my stepmom has had five kids and she's 5'2 maybe. When I was pregnant with my son, he was measuring far larger on a belly measurement than was expected, and I was told I might have a C-section because my "hips were too small and he was too big". I'm 5'5, and of Scandinavian and Irish/English/Scottish descent, which means I'm a bit "stouter" than the girls here lol. I have had "childbearing" hips since I was 11 years old - but with my son, my OB THOUGHT that I may have to have a C-section because Joshua was "too big" and my hips were "too small". Um yeahhhh... Anyway - turns out that at my 36 week ultrasound, my son was guessed to be weighed at 6 lbs, 5 oz - when before that, based on my belly, my doc and her nurses were saying I'd probably have a 9 or 10 pounder, if not bigger. The labor with my son was hard as hell and I came close to having a Caesarean. My son was 6 lbs, 15 oz at birth. I came close to a C-section not because my hips were "small", but because he was sunnyside up, which is a risk factor for a C-section. He wasn't big, my hips weren't too small - no, he was in the wrong position.

Anyway, there a ton of things with your pregnancy and your doctor's care that make me TRULY concerned for you. First the due date crap, which I can understand - when I was pregnant with my son, my first due date was April 10th or so (it's been so long I can't remember the exact date, but around then) because that was what the LMP said. Except I'd always had irregular periods, and it wasn't until my first ultrasound at around 9 weeks or so that they switched it to April 27th. Then the labor crap. Then the C-section that they are so determined to do just because you have small hips.

Well, I can tell you right now, small hips do not hurt babies in the vast majority of childbirths. Like 99% of childbirths with "small hipped" women will and have turned out PERFECTLY FINE in the past sixty or so years. C-sections, on the other hand, can and have hurt babies on a significantly higher percentage than "small hips" vaginal births.

Get a new doctor. Or at least read up. Because right now, I am seriously concerned that your doctor, and I don't give a whit whether it's your regular doctor or not, has earned his or her medical license out of a Wheaties box. For real. I'd have been switching my OB or at least getting a second opinion the minute they said my due date changed an entire month so late in my pregnancy. 1: Ultrasounds are completely unreliable to determine gestational age at that point in a pregnancy. Period. End of story. 2: Compounding on fact one, only a completely moronic and idiotic doctor would stop labor because of a VERY late-term pregnancy due date switch, which leads into three... 3: An ENTIRE MONTH switch in the due dates of a full-term pregnant woman is completely ridiculous and you either have the most idiotic doctors I've EVER SEEN or... well, never mind.

GET A NEW DOCTOR, FOR BLEEP SAKE.

That said, I'm sorry about your ex, and I hope you're doing okay. But good lord, I've never seen such an incompetent doctor based on what you're telling us.

Last edited by Grá Mo Chroí; January 28th, 2012 at 01:09 AM.