View Single Post
March 13th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Veteran
Finally found some time to post my birth story!

Charlotte Alizabeth
7/15/10 @ 1:25am
7lb 7oz
19.5 in

My due date was 7/11. On 7/12, I went to my doc for a NST... baby looked good & showed no signs of wanting to come out! On 7/14 at 1am I woke up with some pretty strong contractions that lasted for about 2 hours, coming about 7 min apart. Then, they just stopped. All day long I had sporadic contractions but they were not intense at all. My 3 yr old had a check up at the doc that day, so when I was there with her I told my doc about the contractions & he decided to do a cervical check to see if I had made any progress from my NST appt. I was about 3 cm & 75% effaced so he said things were starting to progress. This was at about 5pm. We went home, and by 7pm my contractions were steadily 5 minutes apart & starting to intensify! I wanted to labor at home as long as possible. I took a warm shower, rocked in my rocking chair, sat on my birthing ball, finished packing my hospital bag... by 11pm my contractions were 3-4 minutes apart & extremely intense so I told DH it was time to go. My MIL came to stay with our 3 yr old DD & my 10 yr old DD, DH & I headed to the hospital (5 min away). My mom met us there. We arrived around 11:30 & got checked in. The nurse checked my cervix & I was still only 3-4 cm dilated - what?!?! I thought for sure I would have been at least 5-6. She noted my contractions were 3-4 minutes apart & they were really strong. I declined the routine IV prep so I could walk around, & labored for a little on the birthing ball. I was feeling a lot of pressure. My doc arrived around 12:30 & by then I was 5-6 cm. He offered to break my water & I agreed, by this point my contractions were 2-3 min apart & I knew if he broke my water I would have this baby pretty quickly. He broke my water around 1am & BAM! My contractions were less than a minute apart, lasting for a minute and so strong I could barely breathe! I was seriously considering an epidural, but when my doc checked me at 1:15 & said I was 8-9cm. The baby's heartrate was starting to go down with the contractions so he looked at me & said we need to get this baby out now so he set up for me to start pushing. I was like, WHAT? I'm not dilated to 10 yet! But he said he would help stretch me out (that sounded fun) but all I wanted was my baby to be okay so I agreed... and they gave me oxygen & set me up to push. I was so worried about my baby so I gave it all I had... and 3 minutes later Charlotte Alizabeth was born! The cord was around her neck so that's why her heartrate was going down. She was immediately placed on my chest & started crying... She was beautiful & perfect & absolutely fine. I was crying so hard, & shaking, both from the exhaustion & adrenaline! DH cut the cord after it stopped pulsing, and then the doc stole her for a few minutes to check her breathing which was fine. She got apgars of 8 & 10. She weighed 7lb 7oz (the biggest of my 3 kids!) had a full head of hair (thank you heartburn!) and looks just like her sisters. My DH, 10 yr old DD & mom were present for the birth. It was an amazing & emotional experience and I was once again reminded of the miracle of it all... this tiny being was inside me, the my DH & I created out of love, and I nurtured this being and birthed her and the love I felt for her while she was inside me just burst out of control the moment she was born!

I was so happy I got my natural birth and that it went so quickly. And now, our family is complete ♥