View Single Post
March 13th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Baltimore, MD
So here's her LONG birth story:
Tuesday, June 22nd: I went in for induction of labor at 5:30am. Started me on pitocin and stayed on pitocin, contracting pretty intensely for 12 hours. Absolutely no dilation or change in cervix from the 60% effaced I was upon arrival. Emotional, frustrating, and terrible day. Sent home with plans to re-try induction on Monday 6/28. Tuesday night I continued to contract on my own pretty regularly, but they told me to expect that and that maybe I would go on my own day.
Wednesday, June 23rd: Continued contracting, but not as regularly or as intense as yesterday on pitocin. Went swimming to try and ease the pain.
Thursday, June 24th: Contractions started getting more regular and intense throughout the day. About 4pm, contractions were timing at around once every three minutes and were lasting 1-1 1/2 minutes in length, so we decided to head to the hospital. Get to hospital, same person checked me as had checked me at the end of the day Tuesday and said my cervix felt exactly the same as when I left. Discussed the fact that I have been in labor for 48 hours essentially and that cervix should have at least softened a bit, but it's "rock hard". Doc mentioned that since I am adopted and unfamiliar with family history, I may not be able to dilate, it may be hereditary, or my mother could have taken medication while pregnant with me that effected my ability to dilate. Decided I really wanted to see if I could have any change in my cervix if on low-dose pitocin overnight and doc agreed. I contracted literally once every three minutes throughout the night and got no rest.
Friday, June 25th: Doc comes in at 5am to check my status. Cervix is exactly the same as it was and no dilation. Doc mentions the possibility of a c-section since I am not showing any change and hereditary issues may be a real possibility. DH, my mother, and I discuss and agree to C-section (at this point, I was so exhausted from 2 days of labor that I would have agreed to nearly anything I think). Doc comes back in and says that there is a C-section available later on in the afternoon, but that since I wasn't a priority, I would probably be bumped for an emergency section if needed, but that it could give us the time to up the pitocin and see if ANYTHING changes (a real slim possibility). There is also, however, a C-section available at 6am. We agree to the C-section at 6am, and my room suddenly explodes with people. I didn't even have time to think about the pending surgery really. Got into surgery, got epidural, and got DH to join me. Doc had quite the time getting her out. DH said that one nurse was pushing on my chest and doc was sweating pulling her out. They had to use forceps to get her out. I thought I was going to die from the pressure on my chest. Arianna arrived at 6:20am and struggles initially. I didn't hear her cry for 2-3 minutes, which felt like an eternity. Doc advised me later that there was "no way" I would have gotten her out vaginally since she was large (9 lbs) and in the posterior position. Coming from a doctor who's practice c-section rate is 11%, I really trust that he meant that so I was glad I made the right decision. After the C-section, my body temp went down to 94 degrees, so I couldn't breastfeed right away, they had to put me under a "bear hugger" blanket to raise my body temp. Then of course, I puked and itched myself through the next 24 hours from the pain meds they gave me. But, my little girl is PERFECT and totally worth it!
If you made it this far, I'm impressed.
View Public Profile
Find all posts by Arianna's Mommy