View Single Post
March 22nd, 2012, 05:48 AM
frequent flier
The Hunger Games is by far the superior series. For starters, The Hunger Games has a moral, and a complex, thought-provoking one at that. (Spoiler alert for those who haven't read Book 3): As I see it, the moral of The Hunger Games has to do with the value of individual human life and how acceptable it is for lives to be sacrificed in pursuit of a larger goal. On the one hand, we have Peeta, the eternal idealist who is unwilling to take any human life, ever. On the other hand, we have Gale, the realist, who is willing to do absolutely anything that it takes (including killing small children) in order to take down the Capitol. And in the middle, we have Katniss. She is the ideal blend. Yes, she is willing to kill if she has to, but she never forgets the sacrifice, not for one moment. She is constantly counting and naming the number of human beings who have died (either directly or indirectly) by her hand, and she is wracked with guilt for every one of them. She makes a book to remember all of them by name. She knows that sometimes lives need to be lost in order to save other lives, but it's not a decision she makes lightly.

This is thought-provoking stuff. Twilight has nothing on this. The moral of Twilight, as far as I can tell, is "It's nice when powerful, handsome men fight over you." Bella has no strength at all as a heroine. Other people are constantly having to rescue her. Twilight is just fun escapism for girls who wish they could be Bella. There's nothing wrong with it, and it's a fun read, but it has no staying power. It's a flash in the pan. Stephanie Meyer did a good job of creating an interesting twist on our traditional conception of the vampire, but that's about it. (And actually, The Host was by far her better book, anyway).

Now, honestly, I don't think that EITHER The Hunger Games or Twilight will have any real lasting power beyond the next five years or so. They're both basically fads. They're not on the epic scale of, say, Harry Potter for example. But of the two, The Hunger Games is definitely better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredmom View Post
Ever since I bought the three Hunger Games books for my Nook, BarnesandNoble.com has been recommending all kinds of young adult dystopian fiction to me. I'm a sucker for it, so I recently bought Unwind by Neal Shusterman. Amazon.com: Unwind (9781416912057): Neal Shusterman: Books I very highly recommend it. Plot synopsis: there's a second civil war in the United States between the pro-life and the pro-choice armies. (This is not outside of the realm of possibility). They eventually come up with a fairly horrifying compromise, and the teens who are the heroes of this story are the victims of it. The book has similar themes to The Hunger Games, concerning the value of individual human life etc. The premise is initially a bit hard to swallow, but if you can get past that then the rest of the book is extremely thought-provoking.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)