View Single Post
April 1st, 2012, 09:17 PM
Nicole
Week 14: April 2 thru April 8 Sandwiches

Marlboro man sandwich

Ingredients
■1 whole Large (or 2 Small) Onions
■2 sticks Butter (lots And Lots Of Butter)
■2 pounds (to 3 Pounds) Cube Steak (tenderized Round Steak That's Been Extra Tenderized)
■ Lawry's Seasoned Salt (or Similar Seasoned Salt)
■1/2 cup (approximately) Worcestershire Sauce
■ Tabasco Sauce, To Taste
■4 whole French/deli Rolls (earthgrains Are Best!)

Preparation Instructions

Slice onions and cook in 1/4 stick butter until soft and light brown. Remove and set aside.

Slice cube steak against the grain. Season with Lawry’s.

Heat 2 tablespoons butter over high heat (in same skillet) until melted and beginning to brown. Add meat in single layer. Cook one side until brown, then flip and cook until brown, about a minute on both sides.

Add 1/2 cup (at least) Worcestershire sauce, 5 to 6 shakes Tabasco, and 2 tablespoons butter. Add cooked onions. Stir to combine.

Butter halved French rolls and brown in skillet.

To assemble, lay bottom half of French roll on plate. Place meat mixture, followed by a spoonful of juice from the pan. Top with other half of roll, cut in half, and devour!

The Marlboro Man Sandwich | The Pioneer Woman Cooks | Ree Drummond

Homemade snickers Sandwich

makes one 9×13 pan

bottom chocolate layer

1 1/4 cups milk chocolate chips

1/4 cup peanut butter

Thoroughly grease you baking pan. Melt ingredients together in a saucepan or microwave, then pour into the baking dish and spread until even. Let cool and harden completely.

nougat layer

1/4 cup unsalted butter

1 cup granulated sugar

1/4 cup evaporated milk

1 1/2 cups marshmallow fluff

1/4 cup peanut butter

1 1/2 cup salted peanuts chopped, roughly chopped

1 tsp vanilla extract

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add in sugar and milk, stirring until dissolved and bring to a boil. Let cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in fluff, peanut butter and vanilla, stirring until smooth. Turn off heat and fold in peanuts, then pour over bottom chocolate layer. Let cool completely.

caramel layer

1 14-ounce bag of caramels

1/4 cup whipping cream

Combine ingredients in a saucepan over low heat. Let melt, stirring occasionally, until smooth – this took about 10 minutes for me. Pour over nougat layer and let cool completely.

Top chocolate layer

1 1/4 cups milk chocolate chips

1/4 cup peanut butter

Melt ingredients together in a saucepan or microwave, then pour over caramel and spread until even. Let cool and harden completely.

Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving, then cut as desired. These can stay at room temperature, but they do get gooey. I like them refrigerated best!

Note: for best results, buy one of the half-sheet aluminum cake pans at the grocery store. That way, you can pop the entire square out and cut from there!

Homemade Snickers Bars | How Sweet It Is

Long Boy "Burgers"

Ingredients:

2-4 (6-inch) sub rolls, split in half lengthwise
1 1/4 cup cornflakes, crushed
1/2 small onion, minced
1/2 cup whole or lowfat milk
6 tablespoons ketchup, separated
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Salt and pepper
1 1/2 pounds 90% lean ground beef
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:

Adjust the oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees.

1. Bake rolls, cut side up, on wire rack inside rimmed baking sheet until golden and crisp, about 5 minutes.

2. Combine cornflakes, onion, milk, 4 tablespoons ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, garlic powder, egg, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper in large bowl. Add meat and knead gently until well combined.

3. Top toasted rolls evenly with meat mixture, spreading meat to edges of rolls. Brush top of meat mixture evenly with remaining ketchup and bake until meat registers 160 degrees, 20-25 minutes. Top burgers with cheese and continue to bake until cheese melts, 3-4 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes. Serve.

Try this low-carb Buffalo Chicken BLAT Wrap with big taste!

Ingredients (makes 8-9 wraps)
•1lb chicken tenderloins
•1-2 Tablespoons Ranch dip mix
•2 teaspoons vegetable oil
•Buffalo Wing Sauce (I like Frank’s)
•4-5 slices bacon, chopped
•2 tomatoes
•1 avocado
•hearts of romaine

Instructions
•Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with ranch dip mix and rub in with your hands. Add chicken to hot skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes a side, or until no longer pink in the middle. Remove chicken to a plate and let cool for a few minutes. Chop half or all into bite-sized pieces and mix with buffalo wing sauce. Slice the remaining chicken in half lengthwise.
•Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crispy. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
•Cut tomatoes in half, then thinly slice. Slice avocado in half, pop out the seed, peel, and thinly slice. Cut core off of romaine hearts, then rinse and pat dry.
•Assemble wraps by placing chicken, bacon, tomato, and avocado inside romaine lettuce leaves.

For more great recipes visit

Bacon Toasts

Ingredients

6-1 ˝ inches thick Baguette toast (from 1/3 of a Baguette/about 5 to 6 inches lengthwise)
6 Rashers of Thinly Sliced Smoked Bacon

Method

Preheat oven to 425˚F.

Wrap the bacon over each toast and place on a baking tray and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes. Turn the bacon toast at least once and bake until the bacon is slightly crispy and the toast is golden brown in color.

For the Brownies:
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa, plus more for pan
2 eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup flour
pinch of kosher salt

For the Ice Cream Sandwiches:
1 quart vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
2 pounds chocolate chips
1 teaspoon oil

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a quarter sheet pan (a small jelly roll pan), or a 13x9inch pan. Place a sheet of parchment paper in the bottom, spread with butter, and dust with cocoa powder. Set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter, sugar, and 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder. When the mixture is creamy, and all lumps are gone, add in eggs, one at a time, incorporating well after each addition. Add in vanilla.

With the mixer on low, add in flour and salt. Mix until just combined. Spread into prepared pan and bake until shiny on the top, 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven, and allow to cool completely.

Remove brownie from the pan, and cut in half. Spread ice cream on one half, and top with the other half. Freeze for 2-4 hours, until firm.

Cut the large ice cream sandwich into smaller sandwiches. Insert wooden popsicle sticks, and freeze for another hour.

Melt the chocolate chips with the oil in the microwave in 30 second intervals, until chocolate is smooth. Dip each ice cream sandwich in the chocolate, and let set on a sheet of parchment paper. Wrap in parchment paper and freeze until ready to serve.Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich
■4 Jalapenos (small)
■1 Tbsp Cream Cheese
■˝ Tbsp Ranch Dressing
■1-2 Tbsp Chives (chopped)
■Dehydrated Tomato (two slices)
■Cheese
■Butter
■Bread

First roast your jalapenos. You can do this on the barbeque, but since I was out of propane I roasted them on my stove element on medium-low heat (gotta make do with what you have!). While the jalapenos are roasting combine the cream cheese, ranch dressing, chives and dehydrated tomato in a bowl, mixing until smooth. Once the jalapenos are done roasting, place them in a Ziploc bag for a few minutes, then peel the skins off, cut them in half and remove the seeds and spines.

On one slice of bread spread the cream cheese mixture and lay out your jalapenos, then top with plenty of cheese (I just used Kraft Tex-Mex shredded cheese). Generously butter the outside of your sandwich and cook in a pan on medium heat until golden brown. Slice it In half and dig into this AMAZING grilled cheese sandwich!

Fried egg panini

Hello MBG friends! It's Heather from The Lovely Cupboard, and I'm bringing you one of my favorite panini recipes today! This is vegetarian approved, but the carnivores won't miss the meat at all. Promise. You start with sourdough bread, herbed mayo, and avocado. Add tomato, fresh sprouts, some Havarti cheese, and top it off with a fried egg. Oh, man. I can barely write about it without getting hungry.

1. Start by prepping your mayo. Simply dice your favorite fresh herb (I used thyme) and add to the mayo. It's that easy and kicks the "wow factor" on your sandwich up about 50%. That a scientific fact, really.

2. Spread the mayo on the bread and layer thick slices of Havarti cheese on both sides (white cheddar would be fine too) . Add your avocado and fried egg to one side and tomato slices and sprouts to the other.

3. Since a panini is a "hot pressed" sandwich, typically you would use a sandwich press. I don't have one, so I use this little trick to add the pressure needed to make paninis.

4. Grill about 3-4 minutes on each side over medium heat.

•Week 14: April 2 – April 8 – Sandwiches
•Week 15: April 9 – April 15 – One Pot (Whole meal in only one pot. Crock pots will count as long as it's NOT a recipe you did that week.)
•Week 16: April 16 – April 22 - Asparagus
•Week 17: April 23 – April 29 – Something from Childhood

Last edited by Happy Song; April 3rd, 2012 at 10:12 PM.