View Single Post
April 11th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargatemommy View Post
I will say that if you are 100% insistent to BF, you WILL suceed. Don't just "try to breastfeed" or "Hope to breastfeeed" Don't take no for an answer, and don't give up!

A lot of what doctors and nurses tell you, is untrue. It is OKAY for babies to lose weight in the beginning, babies are not born NEEDING food, they can go for several days before your mature milk comes in and be JUST FINE. Don't believe people when they say you need to supplement. There are SOME exceptions, such as low blood sugar, but not very many.
BF is a commitment (my opinion), if you go with the mind set of I'll try or hope to, it won't work, only because its so easy to give up. If you want to BF you will, no matter what the challenges are. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to quit, I was tired, Alex was tongue-tied and make it harder, had to use a shield but I'm stubborn and I wanted to BF until he was 2 and no matter what challenges it brought, I never gave up.
Also, I agree with the loos weight after birth, it's normal, do not need to supplement, it took Alex about 2 weeks to get back to his normal weight.