View Single Post
April 17th, 2012, 01:09 PM
DOh!
I've had moments in my life as a parent that CIO might have sounded like a fantastic idea. I don't think that's an unhealthy thought to have. I think many, if not most, parents have a "ARRRRRRRRG" moment here and there when having a child scream in their ear while trying to console them, doesn't sound all too fun. I don't think that's unhealthy either.

I do think it's unhealthy to actually act on those thoughts, every single time, though. There is a difference between walking away for a moment, or a few, to collect yourself so that you can better help your child(and yourself) and simply ignoring the cries of your child because you think they can deal with it on their own. The latter being completely and utterly unhealthy-for the both of you. The former not fitting what I consider CIO to actually be.

I've never been a fan of CIO in the way that many use it. I find it harmful, not helpful.
I've never needed research from others to tell me that consoling my kid when s/he's crying is the best thing for me to do(for both of us), but I have to admit I'm glad others put it out there. There are plenty of people who DO need to see it, read it, hear it, to understand it. I just wish it was more widely used.
In hospitals that offer to take the baby to the nursery for the evening, they don't CIO, they don't let the babies scream(barring the immediate need to because a nurse only has so many hands and no one else is available, of course, but that's a temporary thing). So why hospitals do not promote this kind of research and other studies/literature already out there, is beyond me. They know the value of attending to the needs of a crying child, they SHOULD be helping new parents understand it as well.