View Single Post
April 20th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Tobi
wow, these women and their info always impress me!!
Dr Jack Newman is a breastfeeding expert. Look him up and if you have any nipple issues, look up his All Purpose Nipple Cream and have your pharmacy mix it up for you.
Kellymom is a great site as well.
Know that it does hurt in the beginning. Even when the experts say it doesnt. All that friction against your nipples for at least 8 hrs a day, has gotta irritate until they toughen up.
I take a probiotc supplement to help prevent thrush. It cleared it right up for me, and has kept it away.
Make sure when latching that baby's lower lip is curled right back and as much of your areola is in baby's mouth as possible, if baby is just latched onto your nipple you will do damage.
As far a baby's weight is concerned, know that if you are on an iv during labor, baby retains fluid so birth weight is not totally accurate at that point. Some hospitals are even delaying weighing newborns for a few hours to try to reflect this. My little one was 10lbs 1oz at birth. I had been on iv for 7hrs. It took 3 weeks for him to regain his birth weight. My Dr would tell me that maybe I should be supplementing. The Bf clinic told me that if I supplement then my body wont keep up with his needs. Breastfeeding works on supply and demand. The more demand the more we produce. Growth spurts cause baby to cluster nurse. They nurse very hour or so for a couple days, which stimulates our body to make more milk.
Good luck! Its a lot of hard work but if it works for you, its well worth it!

[/url