View Single Post
May 1st, 2012, 03:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
to the adoption board!!!

I'm Anna. Mamma to 4 beautiful girls. Meagan is almost 16, Abbey's 13, Kayla's 9 and Ellie is 6. We finalized Ellie's adoption about 15 months ago.

Our adoption expirience was not typical. We were not planning on adopting until we got a call from a social worker saying that a cousin of my husbands was hoping we would take custody of her daughter. Ellie's adoption was a kinship adoption through foster care.
Because it was through foster care it was basically free. The state reimbursed almost all of our costs.
We still had to go through a homestudy and take classes to get certified as foster parents but the process was really easy. If you're interested, I know it is possible to do direct adoptions of newborns through foster care but it might take a while. And of course there are lots of older kids in foster care who are just waiting for their forever family. They are likely to have some form of special needs so it helps if you're open to that but you don't have to be.

Sorry I don't have any advice for you as far as researching and getting started with an agency. I really don't know how that works. But I know there are moms on this board who've gone that route. Hopefully they'll chime in.

I'm glad you posted in here. I hope you'll stick around. We'd love to get to know you. Good luck in your adoption journey. I'll be praying for you.