View Single Post
May 4th, 2012, 03:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccabaltimore and more View Post
I do have experience. I took Valium during my last pregnancy. I took 5mg pills. I didn't take many in the first trimester because I feared cleft palate, but I took one a day in the second trimester. My psychiatrist consulted the leading medical expert in the world of psychiatric medications during pregnancy, and she conformed that Valium is safe to take at moderate levels during pregnancy. (Her name is Jennifer Payne and she runs the Women and Mood Disorders Clinic at Johns Hopkins Hospital incase you are interested.) In the words of my psychiatrist, "Valium is perfectly safe in pregnancy provided you are not taking huge doses of it like Marilyn Monroe or a 1960's housewife."

As you can see from my signature, my son was stillborn, but it was not in any way related to Valium usage, or any other drug for that matter. I was diabetic and no one knew it, and that's what made him sick.

I am currently TTC and hope to be pregnant soon, and I am using Valium.
Hi Rebecca, I just joined here today. I know you posted this message a long time ago now, but I felt I wanted to reply to say thank you so much.

I suffered a silent miscarriage four weeks ago at 12 weeks PG (no heartbeat found at scan). I had been taking 5mg of prescribed Valium due to anxiety disorder when I found out I was pregnant. Weaned myself off it over a few weeks, which was nightmarish in terms of side effects. But I have since been beating myself up, to put it mildly - torturing myself would be more accurate a description - that it was the Valium that may have caused my miscarriage. Like the other posters here, I had received some horrible, judgmental comments on other message boards about this. These comments were in spite of the fact I'd been told by medics that I wasn't ovulating so this pregnancy was a total surprise (not that that should make a difference, what is it with people who seem to want to make a person feel worse when something like this has happened). Though for anyone getting the same medical advice I was about ovulation, miracles do happen as I have a beautiful 7 year old, so something somehow is working!

Anyway, I'm rambling on. I just wanted to say thank you to you from the bottom of my heart for your post. I got all these spiteful comments elsewhere and then I find your well-informed, reassuring, actually backed up by genuine medical expert advice of a post. I cried with relief when I read it.

Thank you and kind wishes,

Fran