View Single Post
May 12th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Here is our May/June pick:
Unconditional Parenting: Moving from Rewards and Punishments to Love and Reason: Alfie Kohn: 9780743487481: Amazon.com: Books

I actually watched a 2-hour DVD of a talk Alphie Kohn gave about the book. It was wonderful! I even go DH to watch it with me. DH is completely on board with not only no spanking, but no punishments, at least for a while until we see how well it works. That means no punitive time-outs (just the "taking a break" kind), no grounding when she gets older, etc.

I don't have a lot of time right now but I'll come back to this. Alphie's general recommendation for discipline is to "work with, no against" your kids. He gives an example of his 3 y/o daughter making them late for work/preschool every day. One evening when they weren't in the moment, he and his wife asked what she thought they should do about it. She said that since it takes a long time to get dressed, she should get dressed the night before and sleep in her clothes. She did it, it worked, and they were no longer late!

More soon. I have so much to say and a few questions.

Last edited by Jule'sMomInOR; July 2nd, 2012 at 10:40 AM.