View Single Post
May 28th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Learning to walk in faith
I think scheduling a call during the daytime instead is a good idea. Most kids resist bedtime enough to begin with, and adding in a phone call that will likely upset them is probably not helping anyone. Let your dh know not to take it personally; homesickness is pretty normal and it isn't about him.

On that note, I would also try not to say things like, "It hurts Daddy's feelings when you say you want to go home." I understand that it's true, but they aren't saying it with malicious intent and so saying that kind of places them in a position where they're responsible for your dh taking their homesickness personally and it isn't really fair to them. They're just expressing that they miss home, which is okay.

I would just let them know that Mommy is going to be calling them at x time instead of bedtime. That way, if they do feel sad or miss home, you can say something like, "I'm sorry you're sad. How about we (insert fun activity here)?" and redirect them.

*Cautiously and excitedly expecting number two - shhh, if we're friends on Facebook. *

Thank you to Babydoll213 for my fabulous siggie!