Topic: Frustrations
View Single Post
May 29th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Been kind of stressed lately, due to drama with my inlaws and having to file a small claims against my FIL, and it doesn't look to be getting any better (more likely will get worse first) anytime soon and I'm just so stressed out it's not even funny.

Plus I'm on my last day of a babysitting job, and the kids are still here. There are 9 kids in my house, and 3 of them should have been picked up about 2 hours ago.

Which is why I'm glad tonight is my last night to watch them. We're babysitting for a gal who's family my husband has known for 24 years. Her husband - well, I'd club him with a 2x4 if he was mine. 1 child is not his, the other 2 are. He says he doesn't feel he should have to "go to work for 8-10 hours, drive 2 hours to work and then home, and pick up the kids and deal with them until his wife gets home at 11:30 pm".

Excuse me?! I shouldn't have to watch the kids if they are not both at work. He thinks we should keep the kids EVERY day that his wife works, even if he is not working. Which means he thinks WE should keep the 3 kids 6-7 days a week! (depending on how her schedule is)
So I have 6 boys, with their two here, and 3 girls here right now. The ages of thier kids are 9, 5, and 3.

Their 3 yr old son and mine have been fighting. all. afternoon. I have separated them both, given time outs, and I finally lost my cool when their 5 year old shoved my 3 year old's head into the toy box.

I didn't know what else to do, so I turned on cartoons and sat them all down and told them to "watch the cartoons or else!"

I still haven't figured out what "or else" will be. :/

Back to the dad. He usually gets off work around 4-5 pm. He will stop to drink on the way home, go to his house and pick up his older boy (14) from his previous relationship and then come get the kids. Other times he comes straight here (after stopping for beer) and pick up the kids.

When the mom is on day shift, she drops the kids off at 6 am, usually still in their pj's. I put them back to bed, wake them up an hour later, get them dressed for school, and make sure they get to school on time. The 5 yr old we were having to drive back and forth, as there was no bus for him. It put 44 miles a day on my car. His school is out now, so that's not a problem anymore.

Originally she said I'd never have the kids on a Sunday, but then I almost had them on Mother's Day except my husband totally flipped out.

She put her two weeks notice in at work, and today is her last day. Hence, my last day of babysitting. The last time her husband picked up the kids, he said to us he was so glad she was doing something (and he was super po'ed) because this just wasn't working for him (that's when he said he shouldn't have to work all day and then take care of kids, too).

My husband was steamed because he said my babysitting for them shouldn't have to interfere with our life, and her husband needs to realize we have things that we plan for the weekends, too, and he shouldn't expect his kids to be here for Holidays or when he is off work on Sat and Sun.

I was sorry to hear she was quitting her job, but at the same time, I'm relieved.

But right now, it's almost 8 pm. Mom was on afternoon shift, so I got the kids at 2 pm. He should have picked them up almost 2 hours ago. I'm not SUPPOSED to have to feed her kids dinner when she's on afternoons, because their dad is SUPPOSED to pick them up and take them home and feed them. My kids go to bed at 8 pm and no one has had dinner. So I'm feeding everyone hot dogs (is that horrible?), and my kids are going to go to bed asap and their kids are going to sit in the livingroom watching cartoons until their dad arrives.

I dunno what else to do. Their mom doesn't get off work until 11:30 pm. I sure hope the kids aren't still here by then!!