View Single Post
June 4th, 2012, 10:50 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Congrats, Amy! My name is Melissa, and DH and I are expecting twins this fall. We also have a 23 month-old daughter.

Obviously I am not a BTDT Twin-Mama yet, but I have gotten great advice from here and from a couple of twin families I know IRL.

Must-haves:
Amazon.com: Summer Infant 2 Pack Cotton Knit Swaddleme, White/Pink, 7-14 Pounds: Baby
These Swaddle Wraps were the BEST when DD was little. She had to be swaddled to sleep, but she seemed to be able to work her way out of the blankets. DH called it her "baby strait-jacket" but it worked like a charm.

We didn't use our Bumbo seat almost at all, we used this high-chair for DD: Amazon.com: Fisher-Price 2012 Space Saver High Chair, Scatterbug: Baby. We started setting her up at the table with us at about 4 months so she felt included at meal-time, but she didn't start solids until 6.5 months. We loved it, and loved that it didn't take up any more space than our regular dining room chair.

That same twin nursing pillow was recommended to me as well by multiple people, so I'm thinking that will be a must-have as well.

DD LOVED her swing (Amazon.com: Fisher-Price Cradle 'N Swing, My Little Snugabunny: Baby). The batteries lasted a surprisingly long time, and she still tries to climb in it when we go into the nursery Most twin Mamas told me not to get a 2nd one until I know whether both like it or not...you can always order one when you get home and figure things out.

We invested in a video baby monitor, and it is still the best thing E.V.E.R.! When DD was napping I could go outside and sit or work in our garden and still be able to see her. Even now I still use it so I can see her at night instead of having to go all the way upstairs to check on her. Being able to see her chest rise and fall is such a comfort, and it is fun to see what she does when I'm not there (both good and bad...she once took her diaper off at naptime and was swinging it around which was not so great, but it is also fun to see her tuck her doggie in and kiss him goodnight ).

Least-faves:

DD hated the bouncy-seat, too, so that was a total waste. Every baby is different, though, so I kept it in case one of the twins likes it.

Fancy bedding sets...a complete waste! Bumpers are not safe...they pose a suffocation hazard and can be used by older children to climb out of the crib. The baby quilts in the sets cannot be used by babies, either. We just bought plain crib skirts and the sheets that went with our theme and saved a TON.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)