View Single Post
June 10th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am an accredited NFP Instructor with the Billings Ovulation Method. I can help answer these questions from that perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babybear4 View Post
1.) I did pick up my BBT and start temping on the Friday I had my IUD removed, and my temps were quite high, indicating that I did, in fact, O. I know this isn't reliable, since I didn't chart prior but my temps are very consistent and not much affects them. Anyway, so on Wednesday, the day after the bleeding started, my temp dropped. My question is, does the morning after pill/nuvaring cause a temp rise or can I be pretty sure I did ovulate?
You cannot rely on those temperatures. Both the Nuvaring and the morning after Pill contain synthetic progesterone. Progesterone is the hormone that makes temperatures after ovulation, so the high readings you have been getting are likely from the fake hormones - not ovulation. If you had the Mirena, that also contains synthetic progesterone...which takes time to leave your system after the IUD is removed.

Quote:
2.) If I can't be confident that I did ovulate, should ovulation occur on a normal basis now that I am not using any hormones? I am still nursing, but I am only nursing twice a day, which is when my periods returned (very regularly) with DD.
Ovulation may not happen regularly just yet. The time it will take to regulate after the hormones can vary from woman to woman. Nursing (even just a little) can also cause irregularity. Don't worry though, NFP can be used while things are irregular. It's just very important to learn it all properly so you know how to do that!

Quote:
Oh, and our plan is to use spermicide until after O is confirmed.
Just to be technical, that's not NFP. That is the Fertility Awareness Method (FAM). NFP is when couples abstain when the body is showing signs of fertility, to eliminate the chance of conception. FAM is when barriers or spermicides are used when the body shows fertile signs, to reduce the chance of conception. NFP is 99% effective, FAM will have the same failure rate as the spermicide you choose.

Here is a list of NFP Instructors in CA. I don't know which places are near Santa Monica, so you can browse through. The type of NFP they teach is in bold.

Billings Ovulation Method
BOMA-USA - Instructors - California

Couple to Couple League Sympto Thermal Method
Couple to Couple League:

Creighton Model
- FertilityCare Centers - California

There is also the California Association of Natural Family Planning:
California Association of Natural Family Planning