View Single Post
June 20th, 2012, 12:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
That sounds like my position a year ago. I am 23 (24 soon) and I have been married for a year and a half. We started trying right when we got married because we were supposed to be married 2 years ago but a deployment cancelled our first wedding date... My husband has a son from a previous marriage. I got diagnosed officially with PCOS last December but I knew I had it since my aunt and mom had it, too.. Plus, the 3-8 months between periods!! When I got off the pill I blew up and gained so much weight which I am struggling to get off now. I still have 40 pounds to go to get back to a weight I can accept. PCOS can cause insulin resistance, so your body does not react as it should to sugar. The insulin tries to overcompensate and it ends up only making the cysts and testosterone in your body worse.. I have started to learn which things to avoid because you should keep a low sugar diet. A lot of doctors who know what they are talking about are now giving women with PCOS a drug called Metformin. It is a diabetic drug but it helps your body respond as it should to sugar and in turn lowering your testosterone.. The more testosterone in your blood, the more cysts.. and the cysts also produce more testosterone so it is a big nasty cycle. Sometimes the metformin can regulate it enough where you can get pregnant.. However, metformin did not work for me. My doctor was monitoring the testosterone levels in my blood and the cysts by internal ultrasound. He told me about the Ovarian Drilling Surgery. It isnt as scary as it sounds. I went ahead and did that. It is a small surgery where they make three small holes in your stomach that leave not much of a scar after and they go in and burn holes into the ovaries to penetrate the harder surface that in turn reduces testosterone and gets rid of most of the cysts immediately. The only down side is that the surgery only lasts an estimated 18 months to 2 years and some doctors wont even do it. After the surgery I got my period on time 28 days later. I was shocked and so happy! I finally felt on the right track. Then, my doctor gave me a ovulation stimulating drug called clomid to increase my odds of getting pregnant. It was monitored around ovulation time each month by internal ultrasound and ovulation was verified. I am currently on my 4th cycle of clomid, though. Most doctors will only give that drug for 6 cycles max and then move on to something else. This month I am more optimistic than ever since the doctor told me that I had the possibility to ovulate one on each side which if I got pregnant could even result in twins if my husbands sperm does the job as it should.. This is a really good site with tons of information if you ever have questions. A few of the more active members are even already pregnant!! PCOS is not a reason to give up hope. I hope to see more of you around.

thank you so much to bokkechick for my siggy!