Topic: Unschooling
View Single Post
June 24th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MountainMomma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmomofmany View Post
Hi, we are unschoolers in that we do not have the children follow formal lessons of any kind on a regular basis. Every once in a while I get panicky about a certain subject (Math, almost always) and we do "book work" for a couple of weeks. But, then we get back to real life and I let it go again for a while. About the only thing I've ever used consistently is "teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons" for whichever child is ready to learn. Well... I say I've used that "consistently" but not one single child has ever finished the book... we just use it until they are able to read on their own.

It has its drawbacks, for sure. Sometimes I imagine my house thirty years from now, full of adult children who can not get "real" jobs. I do not know anybody IRL who has raised their children this way, yet it seems right for us. The lack of support and information out there is almost scary, though. Whenever you read about people "doing the unschooling thing" they usually have only younger kids.
Ohmygosh! This is me! lol

We just pulled my kids out of public school in January, and we have mostly been unschooling since. We did use a couple textbooks from the public school for a while but the unschooling/letting the kids do their own thing works so well for us that I haven't been forcing them into the books.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my new siggy!

Click on my blinkies to tour some of my favorite boards!