View Single Post
July 1st, 2012, 11:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
A nurse tried giving me the "just you wait" line this time - my third birth. I think I barely repressed rolling my eyes. (It was just during a NST, so no one I would be dealing with later, so I didn't care what she thought.)

I do think positive thinking and preparation count for a lot! If you are expecting it to be a horrible experience that you're going to muscle through as best you can and you may need that epidural because of how bad it's going to be.... well you're going to be tense, and being tense during labor is BAD. It's unfortunately a self-fulfilling prophecy. But if you have practiced your meditation and relaxation and other coping techniques, if you view your contractions as waves to ride, if you let go of all those negative expectations, then it's much more likely to be a positive experience.

I understand the "just in case" - I gave birth in a hospital just in case (and actually needed the NICU this last time), but that was in case of emergency, not in case I needed an epidural or anything. I understand what people say when they tell you to remain flexible, but it still doesn't change the positive attitude you need going into it.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~