View Single Post
July 9th, 2012, 01:45 PM
First off ~ I would like to say how sorry I am to hear of your precious loss. It is surely the most devastating situation to have to endure and there are no words to ease the pain. The path becomes a little less rocky as time goes on but the valleys and peaks remind us of the long soulful journey we all must make. My first Granddaughter was born still at 36.6 weeks due to torsion of the umbilical cord ~ not a true knot or nuchal cord but delivers the same devastation and heartache.

According to Dr. Jason Collins of The Pregnancy Institute in New Roads, LA, stillbirth mothers are 5 - 10 more likely to have a recurrent stillbirth ~ so you will be considered a high risk pregnancy when you are pregnant (if you are not considered high risk ~ find a new healthcare team). My daughter in law was monitored during her second pregnancy from 28 weeks onward by Dr. Collins using daily home fetal heart rate monitoring in conjunction with their own OB. All went very well and Jacks was born on June 14th, 2010!!!

So ~ what do you do when you become pregnant after you have had a precious stillbirth??? Don’t ever hesitate to call your doctor, midwife or health care team with any questions and concerns you may have ~ they are there to educate and inform you ~ that’s their job!!! And, always trust your gut.

Become your expected baby's "guardian". New research advises you start sleeping on your left side!!! Begin by making sure the heart, umbilical cord and placenta are visualized for normal construction and placement at 20 weeks on the anatomy scan and begin a daily journal of baby's moments at this time. Insist on an additional ultrasound around 28 weeks to check the umbilical cord and placenta as I have mentioned above. If there is no problem, do your kick counts. If there is a problem, work with your health care team for a close monitoring solution such as frequent ultrasounds, measuring Estimated Placental volume (EPV), daily home fetal rate heart home monitoring and Fetal Non Stress Tests, etc. Begin kick counting now @ 28weeks every evening and remember a change in baby's movements such as speeding up or slowing down, changes in sleep-wake cycles and differences in mobility tendencies could be the sign of a compromised baby. Don't ever hesitate to voice your questions and concerns to your healthcare team, and request additional ultrasounds during this pregnancy!!!

Infections play a major tole in loosing our babies before birth and shortly thereafter. Check out the websites for Group B Strep (GB) and CMV. Become educated, proactive and vigilant; now you will be empowered.

Your baby may experience “hiccups” which will first be noticed as soft, regular, rhythmic movements in the same place. As your pregnancy progresses, they will feel stronger and will eventually feel like hiccups except in your abdomen!!! Your baby’s hiccups should decrease as your pregnancy advances. Past 30 weeks your baby should not have hiccups every day. If your baby has daily hiccups, hiccups lasting longer than 15 minutes, or hiccups occurring more than 3 – 4 times in 24 hours, your baby should be evaluated for umbilical cord issues.

Just like mammograms and colonoscopies are prevention for the masses, getting to know your baby's movements is imperative. Empowering moms to ask simple questions, be proactive and learn how to be their expected baby's "guardian" will help to ensure a happy, healthy and hearty delivery day. Become educated, proactive and vigilant and you will be empowered...xo