View Single Post
July 10th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Love being a mommy!
Made this tonight with the left over tomato and okra stew I had from last night: Quick, crunchy bread! It is AMAZING and so easy to make! It turns out almost like ciabatta with a crunchy crust but sooo soft inside. I love it!

1 1/2 cups warm water (about 100 degrees)
3/4 of a tablespoon active dry yeast
3/4 of a tablespoon salt

Mix those together well, in a large bowl.
Add 3 to 3 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour (King Arthur is the best!!), 1 cup at a time and mix well. The dough will be very sticky!
Cover with a clean, dry dish towel and let rest in a warm spot for 2 hours (I warm the oven to about 100 F , turn it off and leave the bowl in there with the oven door ajar.

Dust a cookie sheet with cornmeal or flour and dump the dough onto it. If you want, you can shape it a bit or leave it just as it is. The dough is very sticky and wet; this is normal!

Preheat oven to 450F and place a pan with about 2 cups of water in the bottom rack. The steam will give the bread a nice, crispy crust!
Cut (I use a razor blade) 3 vertical slashes into the top of the loaf, dust the top of the loaf with some flour and then bake it for 25-30 minutes. Yum!!