View Single Post
July 10th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Ephesians 4:29
It's crazy, but I actually started preschool at home with my oldest right after having 3 surgeries in 2 months with a newborn. My 2nd was born via c/s (easy), then 6 weeks later I had a hysterectomy (laparoscopic), and then a few days after that, I had major emergency surgery (6 inch scar) to repair my bladder, which was accidentally damaged during the hyst. I had a cathether for 2 weeks, was not allowed to lift anything heavier than a wallet for 4 weeks, and was mostly on the couch for about 3 months ... with a newborn and 3 year old! Not sure how we got through it, but we did.

Little guys really don't need a lot of structured learning time. I did Bible stories, reading books together, spelling simple words with refrigerator magnets or wooden puzzle letters, PBS shows, and things like that. Formal, classroom preschool just helps children prepare for public kindergarten (standing in line, taking turns, raising hand, etc.). All of those are things you can - and should - certainly teach at home, but they're skills a child learns through normal life experiences at the grocery store, library, church, or whatever. Besides, preschools are breeding grounds for all kinds of germs, which you won't want brought home to newborns.

There really is a ton you can do while on bedrest, and in fact, I think it would really help with bonding to keep all the children home with you. Letting an older child be a "big helper" boosts pride and confidence, and it teaches the importance of being generous with your time to others. I know some people feel like it's better to send an older one off to preschool, but my son did that very briefly, and it was a disaster for us. Kids don't want to be pushed away, especially that young.

Sorry... didn't mean to write a novel. I just think you should go with the flow. Every day is a learning experience, and you'll be teaching no matter whether you call it homeschooling or not. "School" lessons can be learned in the kitchen, in the backyard, at the grocery store, or just talking back and forth in the car. Arts & crafts or educational TV can keep a child busy while you need a break to take a shower or something, and an older child loves having "important" responsibilities (like yelling at you in the shower if a baby cries or a phone rings). You'll get into a groove and say to yourself, "so this is how women have managed for centuries!" ... especially if you end up hiring a helper, too. (And yes, that helper will probably want to help with the schooling, because it'll look good on their resume later.)