View Single Post
July 12th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
By the end he seems to talk a lot about just doing your best and being a conscious/deliberate parent rather than automatically replaying what your parents did. And choosing your battles rather than getting all DO AS I SAY OR YOU WILL REGRET IT and powertripping.

For the mom at the pool, was the kid really being that disruptive? Was he endangering himself or others? Or was he just having fun and expressing his glee? The best solution may have been to let him yell, kwim? Or if he was being dangerous, take him aside and explain in a serious tone that it was dangerous. To me, the more I think about it, the more things should just be let go. We always worry so much about judgment from others in public but we really shouldn't imo. Who cares what they think?

I have started noticing other parents more too and it is AMAZING to me how controlling many are. One mom at the playground was literally directing her daughter (looked 2 or 3 yo) exactly which slide to go down, stop making mulch piles, etc. Like yelling at her "listen to me when I'm talking to you!" when she didn't immediately obey. Wth???? The poor girl, she couldn't really play at all. Anyway that mom was like the ultimate anti Alphie Kohn!!!